According to wikipedia: Editor war is the common name for the rivalry between users of the Emacs and Vi ( Vim ) text editors. The rivalry has become a lasting part of hacker culture and the free software community.
There are a lot more interesting stuffs about The Editor War . Make sure you read the wikipedia.
Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to make creating and changing any kind of text very efficient. It is included as “vi” with most UNIX systems and with Apple OS X.
Emacs is almost like an operating system, you can do lots of things from it. It also happens to be a text editor.
You wouldn't want to use Emacs unless you have a problem or you have reached a limitation with other editors.
- Install the latest stable version of Spacemacs
The current stable version is 24.5
For Archlinux the command is:
sudo pacman -S emacs
For Ubuntu the command is:
sudo apt-get install emacs
- Download the Spacemacs to ~/.emacs.d/
git clone https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs.git ~/.emacs.d/
For reference check the Configuration Layer Documenation
- [ OPTIONAL ] Or, better you can use my use my spacemacs configurations
All you need to do is download them, and copy configs
cd ~/.emacs.d/ rm -rf private git clone http://github.com/krazedkrish/spacemacs-private-layer.git private mv private/.spacemacs ~/.spacemacs
This command copies my configs for spacemacs in your machine
- Now all you, all you need to do is run emacs
It will automatically download the necessary the first time, or after any changes made to the configurations.
- Bring the efficiency of modal editing to the powerful Emacs lisp platform. Modal UX is optional and Spacemacs can be used with only Emacs key bindings.
- Integrate nicely with Evil states (Vim modes).
- Keep your fingers on the home row for quicker editing with support for QWERTY and BEPO layouts.
- Minimalistic and nice graphical UI, keep your available screen space for what matters: your text files.
- Fast boot time, packages and configuration are lazy-loaded as much as possible.
- Lower the risk of RSI by heavily using the space bar instead of modifiers. If you have issues with your thumbs you can still use Spacemacs using modifiers.
- Contribute easily your improvements and new configuration layers.
- Very active and helpful community on Gitter and IRC (via Gitter IRC bridge)
You might be interested to
You might be interested to read about these:
In my next article I will write about the basic key bindings you would need to know for Spacemacs